Tuesday, January 24, 2012

How To Improve Your Posture

In another post I wrote about the importance of posture to a woman's attractiveness. I suspect this is probably interesting to many women, but not helpful without some indication of how can it be improved - which is what I'd like to elaborate on in this post.

First, I think it is necessary to understand that poor, hunched or closed posture is a deeply subconscious attempt to introvert and close oneself. It is an effort to literally protect the vulnerable front of one's body - that is, the area where our vital organs (groin, gut and neck) are most exposed. Poor posture is a manifestation of insecurity, whether it be physical, social or emotional. The deeply entrenched nature of a person's posture makes it incredibly difficult - indeed, virtually impossible - to change by repeated acknowledgement and correction. I know people who have have been doing this for years, but their posture remains unaffected. I used to have poor posture myself, and for a while made similar "acknowledge-and-correct" efforts, but they were futile.

My posture now is very good. The change was not one I consciously forced, however. Instead, it followed naturally from an improvement in my self-image and confidence. This was a gradual process, but it was was marked by distinct points at which I recognized my value, and more importantly, my potential. This would happened when I saw some similarity between myself and someone I admired, or upon some concrete accomplishment that made me realize that I was capable of things I hadn't thought I could do (or do well) previously. Accomplishment breeds confidence, and accomplishment is the product of initiative and effort - both of which are controllable.

But my personal experience is not the only evidence for my point, by any means. Consider, too, the people you know who have the best and worst posture (aside from the elderly, who have less control over these things). Almost without fail, the ones that slouch are also insecure or very humble, and the ones that stand up straight do so in proportion to their confidence. The correlation is unmistakable.

So rather than straightening up when you recognize your poor posture, you would do better to acknowledge your strengths and excuse your weaknesses, at which point your posture will improve naturally. Far more importantly, if you want to stand up straight, you need to begin to do the kinds of things that will allow you to respect yourself. If you are too timid to carry on a conversation with a man, start practicing so that you grow more comfortable. If you hate the fact that you are overweight, start setting weight-loss goals for yourself and penalties if you fail to meet them. If you have been wallowing in the wake of a bad break-up, shake it off, get back on your feet and start dating again.

These things are not easy to do, but I've seen the effect they can have on a girl's life, and they are worth the effort. They also become easier the more you do them and recognize their benefits. Taking charge of the things that you've previously been unable to master is the best and possibly the only way to improve your self-image, and therefore your posture.

7 comments:

  1. I remember a line from a Lana Turner movie (the title of which I can't recall at the moment)--and I paraphrase . . .

    "Just lift! Lift your head from your neck, your neck from your shoulders, your shoulders from your waist, and your waist from your hips."

    I tried doing it as soon as it was recommended to Lana's character, and it worked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an important post, I'm surprised it dose not have more comments.

    Tony Robbins says you build self esteem from doing things that are hard.

    AnonymousLilly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why are you using "introvert" in such a negative manner?
    I suspect you are extroverted & you project your own negatively experienced introverted side onto others.
    Introversion is not shyness or social anxiety, although it often results in a more quiet, reserved demeanor. A person with such a demeanor is not necessarily unhappy, unapproachable, insecure, etc. When extroverts project this onto them, they miss out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Often I find that people are surprised by me because they form a particular opinion of my character which isn't grounded in the reality of who I am. I know that my experience is something other introverts can identify with. As a result, I can be a bit hot-headed because I feel the need to set the record straight if someone gets me wrong. However I'm happy to adapt to situations where stepping outside my comfort zone is required, which I see more as a point of etiquette and not pressure to conform. Attitude is important.

      People unfold. You can never fully know a person. People aren't transparent or two-dimensional unless they completely lack sophistication. I haven't come across many human beings like that. Thus, as an introvert, I try not to make assumptions about extroverts either.

      Sometimes my personality is grating for certain people who don't accept the fact that I'm comfortable with who I am. There are things I don't do and it isn't because I'm not fun. It's because I have a limited desire to push myself in certain directions. I do meet some extroverts who don't understand that I derive more pleasure from reading great ideas than doing a bungee jump from Victoria Falls. I'm more level and I don't get great bursts of energy often.

      Well maybe I am making generalisations?

      Delete
  4. "Accomplishment breeds confidence, and accomplishment is the product of initiative and effort - both of which are controllable."

    "So rather than straightening up when you recognize your poor posture, you would do better to acknowledge your strengths and excuse your weaknesses, at which point your posture will improve naturally."

    Fucking gold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just go to swimming pool 1-2 times a week.Your posture will improve, you will hold your head high whilst walking and you will feel and look more confident than you really are. People with good posture stand up from the crowd. Men and women. There is no doubt that good posture makes people more attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got separated from my husband 2 years ago. There was no communication between us. I was advised by families and friends to let go, forget the marriage and move on with my life. I didn’t want to marry someone else because deep down, I still love my husband. I was in so much pain and confused, until I read a testimony online on how Dr Odion reunion a broken marriage with the help of his love spell powers. I kept reading so many testimonies on how he helped to stopped divorce and bring back peoples ex-lover's to them, and my faith was renewed. I have to contact Dr Odion immediately, few minutes later, he replied and instructed me on what to do, after meeting up with the necessary requirement, 2 days later after he cast the spell, communication was restored between me and my husband. He actually knees pleading me to forget and forgive him. My relationship is now balance and my husband kept loving me every single day by day. His spells worked wonders and our relationship is now stronger then before, and nothing can separate us again. I visited so many website seeking for help, it looked hopeless, until I came in contact with Dr Odion the real man, who helped me to restore my broken marriage. If you're having similar problem in your marriage, you want your husband or wife to love you again, you have someone you love and you want him or her to love you in return, you are having any challenge in your relationship. Dr Odion SPELL TEMPLE is the solution and answer to your problem, contact him today via Email. odionspelltemple@gmail.com or Call or Whats-app him now +2347038832903..

    ReplyDelete